Variable spring hangers provide economical support for piping systems with vertical thermal expansion. This product is typically used where variation between the operating and installed loads can be tolerated. Anvil's spring hangers can be utilized in a variety of situations where adaptation is just as important as durability.
Precompressing the spring into the hanger casing provides the following advantages:
(1) Saves up to 50% in headroom by reducing the length of the hanger.
(2) Reduces the installed height of the overall hanger assembly.
(3) Prevents the spring supporting force from exceeding the normal safe limits of variations.
(4) Saves valuable erection time because spring is precompressed close to 1⁄2" of the working range.
- Calibration: All Anvil Variable Spring Hangers and supports are calibrated for accurate loading conditions.
- Load indicator is clearly seen in the slot, simplifying reading of the scale plate. Load is read from bottom of indicator.
- Cold set at the factory upon request.
- Spring and casing are fabricated of steel and are rugged and compact.
- Piston cap serves as a centering device or guide maintaining spring alignment.
- Casing protects the spring from damage and weather conditions.
Standard Finish: Painted with semi-gloss primer.
Corrosion Resistant: Anvil offers corrosion-resistant and weather-resistant Variable Spring Hangers to fill vital needs in the chemical and refinery industries as well as in modern outdoor power plant construction. For protection against severe weather conditions or moderate corrosive conditions, the parts of the hanger are galvanized per ASTM A-153, except the spring which has a protective coating and the load column for Type F which is electro-galvanized.
Advantages of a Protective Coating:
- Protects from a wide range of corrosives.
- Does not affect the flex life of the spring.
- Recommended for ambient temperatures up to 200° F
Travel stop: The functional design of the pre-compressed variable spring hanger permits the incorporation of a two-piece travel stop that locks the hanger spring against upward or downward movement for temporary conditions of underload or overload. The complete travel stop, the up travel stop only for cold set purposes or the down travel stop only which may be employed during erection, hydrostatic test (Anvil permits a hydrostatic test load of 2 times the normal operating load for the spring hanger) or chemical cleanout will be furnished only when specified. The travel stop is painted red and is installed at the factory with a caution tag attached calling attention that the device must be removed before the pipe line is put in service. Permanently attached travel stops available upon request.
Approvals: WW-H-171E (Types 51, 56 and 57), ANSI/MSS SP-69 and MSS SP-58 (Types 51, 52 and 53).
Specifications: Anvil Variable Spring Hangers are welded in strict accordance with ASME Section IX.
Size Range: The Anvil Variable Spring Hanger in five series and seven types is offered in twenty-three sizes (Fig. B-268 only is offered in twentyfive sizes). The hanger can be furnished to take loads 10 lbs. to 50,000 lbs
Variable Spring Sizing Tutorial (602 KB)
Variable Spring Fig. B-268 (700 KB)
Variable Spring Fig. 82 (650 KB)
Variable Spring Fig. 98 (629 KB)
Variable Spring - Triple (628 KB)
Variable Spring - Quadruple (628 KB)